We’ve been hearing a lot about the war on women, which is real enough. But there’s also a war on the young, which is just as real even if it’s better disguised. And it’s doing immense harm, not just to the young, but to the nation’s future.
Let’s start with some advice Mitt Romney gave to college students during an appearance last week. After denouncing President Obama’s “divisiveness,” the candidate told his audience, “Take a shot, go for it, take a risk, get the education, borrow money if you have to from your parents, start a business.”
The first thing you notice here is, of course, the Romney touch — the distinctive lack of empathy for those who weren’t born into affluent families, who can’t rely on the Bank of Mom and Dad to finance their ambitions. But the rest of the remark is just as bad in its own way.
I mean, “get the education”? And pay for it how? Tuition at public colleges and universities has soared, in part thanks to sharp reductions in state aid. Mr. Romney isn’t proposing anything that would fix that; he is, however, a strong supporter of the Ryan budget plan, which would drastically cut federal student aid, causing roughly a million students to lose their Pell grants.
So how, exactly, are young people from cash-strapped families supposed to “get the education”? Back in March Mr. Romney had the answer: Find the college “that has a little lower price where you can get a good education.” Good luck with that. But I guess it’s divisive to point out that Mr. Romney’s prescriptions are useless for Americans who weren’t born with his advantages.
… What should we do to help America’s young? Basically, the opposite of what Mr. Romney and his friends want. We should be expanding student aid, not slashing it. And we should reverse the de facto austerity policies that are holding back the U.S. economy — the unprecedented cutbacks at the state and local level, which have been hitting education especially hard.
Yes, such a policy reversal would cost money. But refusing to spend that money is foolish and shortsighted even in purely fiscal terms. Remember, the young aren’t just America’s future; they’re the future of the tax base, too.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste; wasting the minds of a whole generation is even more terrible. Let’s stop doing it."
Go read the whole damned thing.
- fan-girls-r-all-created-equal reblogged this from iamanantichrist
- fan-girls-r-all-created-equal likes this
- superspecialreblogs reblogged this from katrilli
- velsotherplace likes this
- aerodr0me reblogged this from barackobama
- thenshewonders reblogged this from idkwhatiwantmyurltobe
- alliieennss likes this
- forlornturmoil reblogged this from villkanin
- villkanin reblogged this from imanassspankme
- homoan reblogged this from wilwheaton
- malicekisses reblogged this from lethally
- newyorkaddicts reblogged this from inothernews
- afloweroutofstone reblogged this from tinfoilandtea
- koimbra likes this
- kel-thulu reblogged this from steamfitter
- sushigrade reblogged this from steamfitter
- steamfitter reblogged this from wilwheaton
- peach-machine reblogged this from barackobama
- peach-machine likes this
- the-young-crazed-peeling reblogged this from stfueverything
- indeed-chartis-boston-insurance reblogged this from barackobama
- indeed-chartis-boston-insurance likes this
- marcetho likes this
- laurennnem reblogged this from worldat-large
- helenluvsboo reblogged this from wilwheaton
- poppies-for-ophelia likes this
- nowherezone11 reblogged this from kogiopsis
- kogiopsis reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- lethargicprofessor reblogged this from santafili
- vonrouge reblogged this from igotkittypryde
- gettingmadiscrucial reblogged this from heroin-e
- heroin-e reblogged this from yvonensadultsleepover
- ejshea reblogged this from foregotheparable
- sapirwhorf likes this
- smdy reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- littlemooncake reblogged this from aliciaburnett
- whirls likes this
- honeyhammer likes this
- aliciaburnett reblogged this from birdcut
- aliciaburnett likes this
- birdcut reblogged this from telogram
- telogram reblogged this from yvonensadultsleepover
- esacat reblogged this from barackobama
- insectosomniac reblogged this from vifetoile
- yvonensadultsleepover reblogged this from blua
- cosimaniehausdreadlocks likes this
- think-free reblogged this from fuckyeahliberalatheists
- faustinadal likes this
- readingandwatching likes this